Skip to main content

Banquette Seating from Ikea Kallax

I wanted a corner banquette in my eat in kitchen,but couldn't find anything I really liked. I decided to look into making one myself, after doing some research I chose to use the Ikea Kallax Shelving/Cubbie. The dimensions work really well for the space I have in my kitchen too.

I chose to buiild my base first, so I could get accurate measurements to purchase your materials.

Here are the materials you will need to make your cushion.
Plywood- cut to size of your bench (Home Depot and Lowes can cut to size for free) I used 1/2 inch
Foam- I used 2 inch (buy at any craft store, check for sales and coupons, foam isn't cheap)
Quiters Batting- this is nice because it will hold together the foam and wood, and cover the bottom of the wood so you don't scratch your bench.
Fabric- I was able to cover both benches with 2 yards of 54" wide fabric (my bench is 57.75" X 15.5")

Tools:
Staple Gun
Hammer- for any staples that don't go in all the way
Flat Head Screwdriver- remove staples if needed
Scissors
Electric Turkey Carver- makes cutting foam super easy ($12 at Wal-Mart)

If you need to cut your foam to size I recommend using your plywood that is already cut and placing it on top of you foam. Trace around the plywood with a sharpie,and you are now good to cut.

The next few steps aren't required, but will make the process a bit easier.
1.Lay out you fabric, bottom side up.
2.Place quilt batting on top of fabric.
3.Set foam on batting centered.
4.Put plywood on foam and line it up.

Now you are set to assemble and won't have keep running around for your supplies and readjusting things.

1. Wrap quilt batting around foam and plywood, staple to ensure it holds,fold the sides like wrapping present.
2. Fold fabric over and staple. When you start the other side pull very taut to make sure it won't be loose. Again, fold sides like you are wrapping a gift. 3.Flip it over,and place on you bench. 4. Relax!!

This project is super easy,and fairly quick do too. It took me an hour or so to make both cushions. Building the 2 Ikea Kallax units probably took longer.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Skechers Reggae-Rasta Outdoor Lifestyle Sandal

I'm normally not a much of a sandal person aside from wedge sandals, which until my recent pair (also from Skechers), I haven't worn sandals for the past few years with  my old favorites being long past their life expectancy.  I had worked an event promoting Chaco Sandals and got a pair for free from working the event (gotta love my job). I was actually quite looking forward to trying the Chacos after seeing rave reviews and seeing they are podiatrist recommended and also a suggested sandal for Plantar Fascitis (not sure if I have it, but my mom does, and I do have high arches and get occasional symptoms of it). I worked the 3 day event in the Chacos both Z2 sandals and the Chaco Outcross (open air shoe/sandal hybrid), and while the arch support was great (almost too high even for me), the footbed was stiff.  I felt constant pressure on my arches especially in the sandals, in the Outcross, I felt the arch wasn't quite in the right spot, but still a very stiff footbed.

Chaco Outcross Evo 1 and Chaco Z2

I worked an event where I would be required to wear Chacos, and would be wearing the shoes while working.  I wasn't familiar with the brand so I Googled them prior to working, partially because I have some foot issues and wanted to see if I was going to be miserable in them or if they might actually work for my high arches.  I found out that Chaco shoes are podiatrist recommended and have excellent arch support and are also good for Plantar Fascitis.  I have high arches (as well as mild oocasional symptoms of Plantar Fascitis) and am always looking for cute shoes that have good support.  These ideally should have checked both boxes. I wore both the Outcross Evo 1 and the Z2 while working, but could only keep one pair. I really wanted to like the Chaco brand, but they just aren't working for me. I don't know if they need broken in more or if they just aren't for my feet. I have very high arches and have a hard time find shoes that are comfortable for me.

Skechers Cali Memory Foam Wedge Sandal

  I haven't owned a pair of good wedge sandals in years.  I am super picky about wedge sandals and most the new styles I don't care for either because of aesthetics, or comfort reasons.  Many of the current wedge offerings with thse type straps extend back towards the heel which I hate the look of, and others are just to hard of a footbed, or the shoe is very heavy. The Skechers Cali Memory Foam wedges have a very soft footbed (made of you guessed it.. Memory Foam), they are super cushy while still being supportive.  I have high arches and finding shoes can be a challenge for me, although I have great luck with most Skechers especially those with the memory foam, because it can conform to my foot.  These wedges do have a visible arch support on the footbed.  They are a fairly low heel at about 2 inches, I normally would prefer higher, but heel height is one area I'm more willing to compromise. Another great feature is that sandals are very lightweight so you don&